As we continue to discern life in the context of coronavirus we are launching into an all-church emphasis called “Persevere in Love.” In addition to our fall class offerings we invite you to experience:
- A spiritual connection with God.
- A heart connection with each other.
- A church-wide project in service to another.
The Spiritual connection
Given the climate in our world due to isolation and division, we will spend the month of August praying for our church, our community and our world. Click here to download a prayer guide that will help us all to pray the same way with respect to coronavirus, racial strife and especially for our church spiritual life and community. You can also pick up a copy in the Welcome Center.
From September to November you are invited to read through the Gospels in 90 days, one chapter a day of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Read it wherever you go (home, office, coffee shop, vacation). The goals are:
- To be shaped by God’s Word;
- To be conformed more and more into the image and likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ;
- To wake up to the new things that God is doing in our midst.
Below are some practical ways of engagement as we practice these spiritual disciplines:
- Keep a journal of your experience, something as simple as writing down a word or phrase that captures the heart of what God may be saying to you or doing in you;
- Over the next few months, share with at least three different people the experience of praying together and reading through the Gospels with your church family;
- At least once this fall, share your experience on social media; be sure to tag Marvin UMC;
- Be on the lookout for emails that will give greater insight to the gospels we are reading.
The heart connection
This refers to how we relate to one another in love. We want to help facilitate connections within our church family, particularly with respect to those who are isolated and most vulnerable. As the coronavirus pandemic continues to disrupt normal living, we have to come up with new ways to stay connected with others. Video calls and streaming worship services are great uses of technology, but they cannot replace human interaction.
Marvin Church has a new initiative to get church leaders and congregation members out in our neighborhoods to visit others in the Marvin family who live near them. We have a lists that contain about 10 household addresses and a map of their locations. If you would like to participate in this ministry, drop by the church to pick up the map and gift bags that contain encouragement and ways to dive deeper into spiritual life while we are apart (contact Regina Childress if you have questions about porch visits).
The church-wide missions projects
The whole Marvin family is invited to participate in these monthly missions projects to reach out and serve our community. There’s one easy project each month for the next three months. You can do these at home and drop them at church. Click here for more information about the missions projects.
August: Assemble blessing bags for Bonner kids going back to school.
Please include the following items in a one-gallon Ziplock bag:
- An encouragement note or card from you
- Toothbrush (child size)
- Toothpaste (small)
- Shampoo (small)
- Body wash (small)
- Hand sanitizer (two ounces or less)
- Plain M&Ms
- Pencil bag filled with goodies such as
- colored pencils, stickers, small notepad, etc.
- $5 to cover the cost of a colorful Crayola face mask that we’ve pre-purchased for all students.
Return your bags to Marvin no later than Sunday, Aug. 30.
September: Make hygiene kits for UMCOR
Please put the following items in a gallon-size resealable bag, following the assembly instructions below:
- One hand towel (15 x 25–17 x 27 inches; no kitchen, cleaning or microfiber towels)
- One washcloth (no kitchen, cleaning or microfiber towels)
- One comb (sturdy with at least six inches of teeth, no pocket combs or picks, rattail and combs without handles are OK but must have at least six inches of teeth)
- One metal toenail or fingernail clipper
- Bath-size soap (three ounce bar or larger, no Ivory or Jergen’s soap, do not remove from packaging)
- One adult toothbrush (do not remove from packaging)
- 10 adhesive bandages (3/4 x 3 inches)
Assembly instructions: Lay hand towel flat on a table. Lay the washcloth in the center of the hand towel. Place all remaining items on top of the washcloth (except the plastic bag). Fold the sides of the hand towel to cover the items. Grasp the bundle tightly and roll over the remainder of the towel. Place the tightly rolled bundle in the plastic bag, remove air, and seal.
Return your completed hygiene kits to Marvin by Sept. 30.
October: Remember your favorite book as a child?
Encourage literacy at Bonner Elementary School by providing a children’s book. We need new books for all reading levels from kindergarten through fifth-grade. Please write an encouraging note inside the front cover for the child who will receive your book. Our goal is to collect 450 children’s books to bless Bonner boys and girls. Please bring your books to the Welcome Center before the end of October.