As we continue to discern life in the context of coronavirus we are launching into an all-church emphasis called “Persevere in Love.” In addition to our fall class offerings we invite you to experience:
- A spiritual connection with God.
- A heart connection with each other.
- A church-wide project in service to another.
The Spiritual connection - read the Gospels together
From September to November you are invited to read through the Gospels in 90 days, one chapter a day of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Read it wherever you go (home, office, coffee shop, vacation).
Click here to read using the You Version Bible app on your device, or pick up a progress bookmark in the Welcome Center and read from your Bible. Join our Gospel in 90 Days Facebook group here. And fill out the form below to receive encouraging emails.
The goals are:
- To be shaped by God’s Word;
- To be conformed more and more into the image and likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ;
- To wake up to the new things that God is doing in our midst.
Below are some practical ways of engagement as we practice these spiritual disciplines:
- Keep a journal of your experience, something as simple as writing down a word or phrase that captures the heart of what God may be saying to you or doing in you;
- Over the next few months, share with at least three different people the experience of praying together and reading through the Gospels with your church family;
- At least once this fall, share your experience on social media; be sure to tag Marvin UMC;
- Be on the lookout for emails that will give greater insight to the gospels we are reading.
The heart connection
This refers to how we relate to one another in love. We want to help facilitate connections within our church family, particularly with respect to those who are isolated and most vulnerable. As the coronavirus pandemic continues to disrupt normal living, we have to come up with new ways to stay connected with others. Video calls and streaming worship services are great uses of technology, but they cannot replace human interaction.
Marvin Church has a new initiative to get church leaders and congregation members connected to others in the Marvin family, keeping them updated on what is going on at the church and checking on their physical and spiritual needs. People who participate in this ministry will be given contact information for three to five households in the same geographic area. They will be given a loose outline of a script to follow. The volunteer will contact each household once a month for three months. In this way, it is our hope that we can accomplish our goal of coming through this trying time with stronger connections than ever before.
Contact Regina Childress for information.
The church-wide missions projects
The whole Marvin family is invited to participate in these monthly missions projects to reach out and serve our community. There’s one easy project each month for the next three months. You can do these at home and drop them at church. Click here for more information about the missions projects.
September: Make hygiene kits for UMCOR
Please put the following items in a gallon-size resealable bag, following the assembly instructions below:
- One hand towel (15 x 25–17 x 27 inches; no kitchen, cleaning or microfiber towels)
- One washcloth (no kitchen, cleaning or microfiber towels)
- One comb (sturdy with at least six inches of teeth, no pocket combs or picks, rattail and combs without handles are OK but must have at least six inches of teeth)
- One metal toenail or fingernail clipper
- Bath-size soap (three ounce bar or larger, no Ivory or Jergen’s soap, do not remove from packaging)
- One adult toothbrush (do not remove from packaging)
- 10 adhesive bandages (3/4 x 3 inches)
Assembly instructions: Lay hand towel flat on a table. Lay the washcloth in the center of the hand towel. Place all remaining items on top of the washcloth (except the plastic bag). Fold the sides of the hand towel to cover the items. Grasp the bundle tightly and roll over the remainder of the towel. Place the tightly rolled bundle in the plastic bag, remove air, and seal.
Return your completed hygiene kits to Marvin by Sept. 30.
October: Remember your favorite book as a child?
Encourage literacy at Bonner Elementary School by providing a children’s book. We need new books for all reading levels from kindergarten through fifth-grade. Please write an encouraging note inside the front cover for the child who will receive your book. Our goal is to collect 450 children’s books to bless Bonner boys and girls. Please bring your books to the Welcome Center before the end of October.